The Cotter Medical History Museum is run by The Cotter Medical History Trust, a registered Charitable Entity CC38402. The Trust’s mandate is to collect, preserve and display artefacts of a medical nature. The museum is managed by a dedicated team of volunteers: medical practitioners, nurses, librarians, teachers, scientists and historians.
Pat Cotter ONZM (2009), MB ChB (1944), FRCS (1949), FRACS (1955) contributed significantly to medicine in the Canterbury region and in New Zealand.
Pat was noted for his work in the Christchurch Hospital Medical Library, medical education and the establishment of the Christchurch Clinical School (now University of Otago, Christchurch), the New Zealand Medical Association, the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, the Medical Assurance Society, and as a founder of the Surgeons’ and Anaesthetists’ Instrument Pool.
Pat’s public legacy, The Cotter Medical History Trust, was established in 1998 to take care of the extensive collection of medical memorabilia that had long since filled his home and garage. He donated his collection to the Trust, which found a home in the Hagley Nurses’ Hostel sited adjacent to Christchurch Hospital. Following the Christchurch earthquakes of 2010 the collection was transferred to Hillmorton Hospital where it is now The Cotter Medical History Museum.